Friday, April 24, 2009

ARTIST I LIKE: kim west

One of the great things about selling on Etsy, is that sometimes the customer who just bought notecards from you, has a cute little shop of their own. And sometimes you take a peak at said shop and realize that they make something really really cool that you just have to have. And sometimes you find out that you and this other shop owner actually went to the same art school and know some of the same people! Ok, that last one has only ever happened to me once, but it is how I found Kim West, owner of Shortees.

Kim shares an eclectic portfolio of photography and ceramics on her website, but it is her children's apparel that I am most taken with. Her Shortees line of kids clothes are all handmade from upcycled T-shirts and fabric scraps. The result is a collection of one of a kind, good for the environment and just plain awesome dresses, pants and bibs. Captain and Chunk both have their own Shortees pants now and I L O V E them! Not only do the boys look extra special cute in these comfy pants, but they are really well made and the perfect weight for this early spring weather. Chunk's are made from an old Green Day concert tour shirt and Captain's are from a blue Carolina shirt. They're great for playing around the house and can double as PJ pants too. Her inventory is ever-changing so check back in her shop often!

3 comments:

Jasmine said...

Her stuff is great! I can't wait until I have a kid so I can but her a dress from here. I also think the reusable sandwich bag is a killer idea! Thanks for the link!

M.M.E. said...

Awesome stuff! You have a great site here. So happy other people are helping us etsy artists advertise our skills.

www.studiomme.etsy.com

Jessica Craig said...

I LOVE this idea. Why didn't I think of that? I may have to order some pants (or shorts) for the kiddos. Thanks for posting this. I'm telling eveyone!