Thursday, June 25, 2009

GIFTABLE: fingerprints



Awhile back I toyed around with precious metal (silver) clay, trying to make silver charms with Captain's fingerprints. It worked out sort of ok, and I have a pretty pearl necklace I made featuring one of the charms. But it wasn't perfect. I couldn't get the clay to stay smooth. The charms all had to be chunky rather than delicate. I'm a bit of a perfectionist (My mother thinks I'm a control freak. She might be right) so these things bother me. Yet I wasn't quite motivated enough to practice and experiment until I got the technique perfect. Probably a good thing since Captain might have run away with the circus had I forced him to get fingerprinted "just one more time".

Since I'm no good at silver fingerprint jewelry, you should definitely go check out Ali Bali, because she is very good at it. In addition to the cufflinks shown above, she makes charms and pendants. She sends you some sort of magic putty to make the fingerprint on, you mail it back to her and she makes rockin jewelry out of the imprint! There are no earrings in her shop, but I think it would be cool to have simple silver drop earrings, with Captain's fingerprint on one and Chunk's on the other. What do you think, Ali?

3 comments:

vicki said...

How cool! I've never even seen something like that!

Alison Reid said...

Thanks so much for featuring my cufflinks, it was a lovey surprise!

Donna Gotlib said...

Your work is really beautiful.