Monday, March 9, 2009

PERSONALLY: who needs toys?


It all started two weeks ago when I was trying to get dinner on the table while Captain and Chunk desperately wanted every little last bit of my attention. Just when I was fearing that dinner would be pretzels and milk I rememberd the giant stack of cardboard boxes in the mudroom. We do most of our grocery shopping at BJ's and are left with big, sturdy boxes from carting everything home. So I tossed a bunch of boxes on the floor, gave them some cars and trucks to drive on and around them and TA-DA! It was a box city! They played quietly until dinner and then dove right back in when they were finished eating. Since then I have been trying to get these boxes out of our living room and into the recycling bin, but every time I get ready to move them the boys create something new. The box city was enhanced with bridges and ramps. It later morphed into a train, a rocket ship (notice Buzz Lightyear sitting above Captain during blast-off) and most recently a pirate ship. (No, they aren't wearing underpants on their heads. Those are pirate hats.) Now I know what to give them for their birthdays this year!

2 comments:

Erin Nowak, Designer and Illustrator said...

I will always find underwear...ugh I mean pirate hats, on the heads of children funny. Too cute and what a great idea with the boxes. Especially since my kids are on a break from school this week!

MJ said...

I used to love boxes as a kid!

My mom used to always ask why in the world she bothered to buy me Barbies...